Industries and residents shifted from East Perth to new suburbs. East Perth Power Station closed in 1981. Urban planning aimed to transform the suburb.
New power stations joined East Perth to meet ever-growing community demand for electricity and the electricity grid was extended from the metropolitan area to encompass the southwest. Households electrified their domestic life with more appliances.
Urban renewal completely changed the social composition of East Perth residents
The State Electricity Commission became a powerful government agency delivering an essential service to an ever-increasing area of the State.
Pressures on workers eased as other power stations came on-line. Despite the unpleasant physical conditions of the workplace many workers found it ‘a good place to work’.
‘C Station’ expanded generation further – 87 MW (1956)