The central and northern parts of East Perth became Perth’s major industrial area. In 1916 the East Perth Power Station joined the Gasworks and a multitude of other industries.
East Perth electricity generating station was the first central power station in Australia. It provided electricity for all Perth’s requirements.
Most of East Perth was a working class neighbourhood, combining home ownership with boarding houses and rental premises.
The Scaddan government decided to establish a State-run central power station with the City of Perth managing most of the electricity distribution to consumers.
‘A Station’ is built and a small group of workers took on the task of operating and maintaining the new plant.
‘A Station’ was commissioned – 12 MW (1916) increased to 32mw (1927)